We are Takoma Kids For Edu-GIRLS (TAKE), a branch of Edu-Girls run completely by kids. Right now, we have ten members. In the past five years, we have raised $11,000 for this non-profit.
How we raise the money:
TAKE has an annual yard sale/fundraiser. At our latest sale, we sold not only normal clothes, toys and household goods, we sold baked goods, chai and samosas and raffle tickets. The profits earned at this yard sale was $3100. All of this went to Edu-Girls.
At this year's sale, we had a raffle. We raffled off gift certificates from stores in Takoma Park. We got these gift certificates by walking up to the manager and asking for them. We also had a little brochure, and we gave that to the manager too. We visited ten stores and we got gift certificates from seven of them. At first, we were a little nervous because we were just kids walking up to someone and asking for money. But after the first business we visited, we really got the hang of it.
Visiting Vimukti Girls School:
In the spring of 2016, three members of TAKE went to visit a school Edu-Girls supports. It is called Vimukti Girls School and it is in Jaipur, India. When we visited, we were a little bit baffled because the girls did not look like they lived in slums at all! They were neatly dressed, all had the same nice orange and green uniform, and they were really well behaved. The campus was also beautiful. Except these girls were probably in their teens, and they were learning things that we learned in first and second grade. This was very surprising for the three of us.
How You Can Help:
It is really simple. Some examples on how you can help are:
- You can collect old toys, books, clothes, etc. and set up a miniature yard sale! You can also ask your parents if they have stuff that they just want to get rid of.
- If you want to make your yard sale bigger, you can go around your neighborhood and tell people you are collecting old toys, books, clothes, household appliances, etc. for a charity yard sale. People can give you what they don't want any more and you can sell it. Your neighbors can come and buy new stuff, too. You might be able to make $1000!
- You can set up lemonade or hot chocolate stands.
- You can tell your friends, family and relatives about Edu-Girls.
- For your birthday, you can ask for people to donate to Edu-Girls instead of give presents to you.
- Ask if you can make speeches at Edu-Girls events, like the gala where we presented the check of $2900 to them (shown below). Several of us made speeches there.
EDU-GIRLS INC. IS ABLE TO DISTRIBUTE STUDENT SERVICE LEARNING HOURS (OR YOUR SCHOOL SYSTEM’S STUDENT PUBLIC SERVICE SYSTEM) TO ANY TAKOMA KIDS FOR EDU-GIRLS MEMBERS. JUST FILL OUT YOUR APPLICABLE FORM AND EMAIL IT TO email@example.com WITH THE SUBJECT “STUDENT SERVICE PROJECT”.
TO JOIN TAKE, please call 301 270 1022 or contact firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.